World Class Academy is committed to creating the world’s top junior Kiteboarders and to engage each student on an individual basis. You do not have to be a pro kiteboarder to be in World Class, but we will engage you and push you in order to reach your goals. At World Class being an athlete means training on and off the water, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, engaging your teammates, and constantly re-focusing on individual goals. Our coaches and teachers not only support our students, but share in the journey and experience as well.
While kiteboarding is an individual support, at World Class we are first and foremost a team and will be working together in order to push each other physically and mentally as well as creating an atmosphere of safety, cooperation, and excellence.
Creating an atmosphere and culture of safety on and off the water is a fundamental part of World Class. Staff and students will work together to implement our safety and risk management procedures maintain a safe environment for training, learning, and growing.
At World Class Academy, student-athletes participate in daily cross-training workouts and kiteboarding sessions. Off-water workouts take place before or after class, depending on the wind conditions. Morning workouts rotate between core training, cardiovascular workouts, and stretching and last between 30 -60 minutes. These workouts are led by our coaches and go toward fulfilling P.E. requirements.
As a school that's focused on athletics, we strive to create well-rounded athletes, both on and off the water. We understand that students’ individual athletic goals vary. The World Class Academy athletic program helps students meet their athletic aspirations--some of our athletes work to complete at a professional level, while others choose to challenge themselves to progress without adding the pressure of competition.
- Weekdays involve two workouts a day: cross-training in the morning before school and a kiteboarding session in the afternoon.
- Cross-training workouts are designed to promote aerobic endurance, flexibility, strength and injury prevention.
- During afternoon kiteboarding sessions, the team often splits into small groups based on goals, ability, and style of riding.
- Kiteboarding sessions focus on the joy of learning new tricks with the help of technique-building drills, real-time coaching, and video review.
- Mock competitions are held periodically to help athletes gain competitive experience and refine their strategies.
- On weekends, if an event is not scheduled, the WCKA team will take advantage of longer kite sessions and check out different kite launches in the area.
Students need to arrive at World Class Academy with everything they need for school, daily life and kiteboarding. A commitment to staying organized and taking care of gear and equipment is essential.
World Class Academy will travel with our own equipment including vehicles, trailers, cooking and camping supplies. Group gear such as safety equipment (SAT phone, first-aid supplies, jet-ski or safety boat when appropriate, repair kits, etc.) and academic supplies are also carried from location to location.
World Class Academy does not provide any individual kiteboarding equipment. Each student will be expected to provide his/her own kiteboarding gear, including a pump, as well as personal items such as tents, school supplies, clothes, sleeping gear, and other important items.
Students applying to the school will be sent a list of the required gear for each semester with a check-off list included.